Stolen Birth Certificates: What Should You Do?

22 Sep, 2015

Stolen birth certificates: what should you do?

If your birth certificate is stolen, it is essential that you report it to the authorities as soon as possible and take steps to ensure that it is not being used illegally.

The main risk when your birth certificate has been stolen is, in fact, that of identity theft: with a birth certificate you can apply for other personal documents, as well as bank accounts.

It is not unlikely for fraudsters to use personal documents to steal money.

The crime should be reported as soon as possible

When reporting a theft to the police, it is important that you include the fact that your documents - including birth and marriage certificates - were stolen. You do not need a police report to get your birth certificates replaced, but this will give you a record in case you become the victim of an identity theft.

In addition, you can also contact the General Register Office and inform them of the theft. This will have a similar function and protect you from anyone making fraudulent use of your documents.

Make sure that your money is protected

Banks have security systems in place to avoid fraudulent activity on bank accounts. However, make sure that you take every step possible to guarantee that nothing happens to your earnings. Let your bank know that your birth certificate has been stolen and that your accounts should be monitored carefully in case anyone uses that document to start a new account in your name.

As part of an especially thorough investigation on whether your documents have been used to commit fraud, you can ask a credit reference agency to run a credit check on you. This will bring up any unusual activity related to your name. This is an expensive procedure, but if you have legitimate concerns, it is a good way to find out what is going on.

Obtain new copies of your documents

The last step to take when your certificates have been stolen is to replace them. This is especially important if other documents such as your driver’s license or passport have been stolen, as you will need your birth certificate to obtain a new copy.

You can do this by contacting the General Register Office and wait a few weeks, or submit your information to Simply Certificate and obtain your documentation within a couple of days.